The very first question that comes into everyone’s mind the first time they notice black mould in their house is always. “Where in the world did that come from?
What people don’t realize about black mould is that it is everywhere! It has the ability to lie dormant for 100’s of years just waiting for the perfect conditions to grow. The mould spores have probably been there since the house has been built or they could have drifted in through an open window, it is impossible to know.
Mould spores are microscopic and invisible to the human eye, so they are difficult to detect and equally difficult to remove from your home. In their dormant form the spores cannot harm you because there is such a small quantity. However what we need to be concerned with is the conditions that cause the spores to grow. Black mould is very robust and only needs two things to thrive, low light levels and moisture; these are most commonly created by abnormal humidity levels and water emergencies in your home. Mould is able to grow on almost any surface if the proper conditions are there. You will know you have mould because it makes the space have a musty wet smell, the smell is often one of the first signs but even if you cannot see anything you need to treat the situation before it gets any worse.
High humidity can be caused by many things. One of the most common causes of high humidity, are poor ventilation or excess moisture in the air. Many of our everyday activities will cause excess moisture to be introduced into our homes. Simple things like, leaving a shower door open while using it, not mopping up water whenever it pools on the ground or drying clothes inside can significantly add to the humidity in our homes. These are not things that you may think will cause black mould because they are everyday events but they all put excess moisture into the air. They all can cause hundreds or thousands of dollars of damage to your house not to mention a ton of work.
Water emergencies are problems that we all have and if left treated improperly you will more than likely have black mould on your hands. Water emergencies are problems like having a leaky roof or plumbing problems such as (leaky pipes, burst pipes, leaky showers.) These problems need to be treated quickly and effectively to avoid black mould colonies from growing.
One of the most important reasons to be aware of black mould, what causes it and how to detect it, is because of its negative health effects on people. It can cause lung problems like asthma and if it gets on your food it can cause food poisoning. It has been given the nickname toxic mould for this very reason.
Without a doubt black mould is something that we need to be aware of so that it can be treated properly before it gets out of hand.